Wednesday, December 6, 2017
Funeral details for the late King Michael
Program of the funeral of King Michael I of Romania
On Wednesday, December 13, 2017, at 11.00 a.m., His Late Majesty King Michael’s coffin will arrive at Otopeni Airport, whence it will be conveyed by hearse to Pelesh Castle. The event will take place in the presence of the new Head of the Royal House of Romania, Margareta, Custodian of the Crown, and the members of the Romanian Royal Family, representatives of the Romanian Government and of the Orthodox Church and members of the Royal Household. The press will have access to the ceremony. Members of the public will not have access.
From 2.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 13, 2017, the King’s coffin will lie in state in the Hall of Honour at Pelesh Castle. During this interval, the Custodian of the Crown and the Royal Family will be in Sinaia. The timetable for officials visiting Pelesh Castle to convey their condolences is as follows:
- 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.: The Presidential Institutions of Romania and the Republic of Moldova, members of the Government of Romania and the Government of the Republic of Moldova, members of the Parliament of Romania and the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova.
- 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Representatives of institutions of the Romanian State (National Bank, city and town halls, schools and universities, central and local institutions).
- 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Representatives of the Diplomatic Corps, the European Union, N.A.T.O., and international organisations.
- 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Representatives of the Romanian Academy and the State Academy of the Republic of Moldova, the Orthodox Church, the Catholic Church, and other religious institutions.
Access to Pelesh Castle will be on the basis of the lists communicated in advance to the Royal Protocol by the aforementioned institutions by e-mail at email@example.com.
Members of the public will not have access to the Hall of Honour while the coffin lies in state at Pelesh Castle. The press will have limited access to the Hall of Honour.
Wednesday December 13, 2017, at 6.00 p.m., His Late Majesty’s coffin will be taken from Pelesh Castle and from 8.30 p.m. will lie in state in the Throne Hall of the Royal Palace (Calea Victoriei, nos. 49-53). The ceremony of the arrival of the coffin in the Throne Room will be private. The press and members of the public will not have access.
All those who wish to lay flowers and to say a prayer at the catafalque of His Late Majesty King Michael I will have access to the Throne Hall of the Royal Palace on Wednesday, December 13, 2017, between 9.00 p.m. and midnight, Thursday, December 14, 2017, between 8.00 a.m. and 10.00 p.m. and Friday, December 15, 2017, between 08.00 a.m. and 10.00 p.m. Entry will be free for everybody. The press will also have access.
Those coming to the Royal Palace to pay their last respects to His Late Majesty King Michael I are asked to abide by the following rules:
* They should be dressed appropriately, in dark colours.
* They should not be carrying shopping bags, other kinds of bags, or bulky luggage of any kind.
* They should not be accompanied by children below the age of seven or by wheeling pushchairs.
* They should not use cameras or mobile telephones or any other electronic devices. Out of respect for the solemnity of the occasion, it will be forbidden to film or take photographs.
* They should have their identity cards with them.
* Members of the public will not be allowed to lay flowers at the catafalque personally. Flowers shall be laid in the garden in front of the Royal Palace or on the pavement in front of the Palace railings. The staff of the Royal Household will be on hand to advise the public.
* Those coming to the catafalque are asked not to bring books, letters, postcards, stamps, documents or photographs with them. These may be sent by post to the Elisabeta Palace after the event.
* It is strictly forbidden to smoke or to use mobile telephones within the precincts of the Royal Palace.
A first-aid post will be in service during the period of access to the Royal Palace.
At 10.30 a.m. on Saturday, December 16, 2017, a short religious service will be held in the Throne Hall of the Royal Palace.
At 10.55 a.m. His Late Majesty’s coffin will be laid on a catafalque in Royal Palace Square, in front of the Palace. A military and religious ceremony will be held. The public will have free access to Royal Palace Square, within specially marked out areas. The press will also have free access.
At 11.15 a.m., the coffin will be placed inside the hearse.
Between 11.25 a.m. and 12.15 p.m., the funeral cortege will travel at low speed along the following route: Royal Palace Square – Calea Victoriei – Unirii Square –Patriarchal Cathedral.
Between 12.30 p.m. and 2.00 p.m., a funeral mass will take place in the Patriarchal Cathedral of Romania. The press and members of the public will not have access.
From 2.00 p.m. to 6.20 p.m. the funeral cortege will travel taking the following route: Unirii Square – University Square – Romana Square – Charles de Gaulle Square – The Triumphant Arch – Mogo oaia – Buftea – Titu – Găe ti – Topoloveni – Pite ti – Curtea de Arge . The cortege will not make any stops during this journey but will slow down when passing through towns and villages.
At 6.45 p.m. on Saturday, December 16, 2017, His Late Majesty’s burial service will be officiated in the New Royal and Episcopal Cathedral in Curtea de Arge . The ceremony will be attended only by the Custodian of the Crown, the Royal Family of Romania and members of foreign royal families. The public will not be allowed past the front gates of the Park of the Curtea de Arge Monastery.
The press will not be allowed inside the New Cathedral, either before or during the burial ceremony. The New Cathedral will be closed to visitors during the seven days following the funeral.
The Royal Family announces heavy mourning for 40 days and mourning for the first three months after the day of His Late Majesty’s passing.
For further details, please contact the Royal Secretariat and the Press Office by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and by phone at +40 21 319 09 72.
Books of condolence are open from today at Pelesh Castle, the Royal Palace (Calea Victoriei), and Elisabeta Palace. The public will be able to sign the books of condolence for forty days after the date of the decease.
Messages of condolence may also be left online, at the following address: http://www.familiaregala.ro/mesaje/